Making Homemade Dog Food Can Extend Your Dog's Life

Dogs are more than just a pet to someone who loves them. I've owned Weimaraners for more than 20 years, and each one I've had has become a family member, a beloved companion. Dogs are so incredibly dependent upon us as their human caregivers that we owe them the very best. After all, they can't look after themselves. Learning to make homemade dog food can extend our pet's life.

Dogs don't really require much when you think about it - their daily care is just lots of love, some exercise and good nutrition. It used to be that when I thought of good nutrition, I thought that meant buying the more expensive brands of dry dog food - you know - the ones you pay big bucks for at your vet's office. And to be fair, I think those brands are better than the big cheap bags you buy at super-sized grocery stores and warehouse stores.

However, as more news has come to the forefront of the media about unhealthy pet food, we must all really think about what we're feeding our dogs. Every dog needs a certain balance of minerals, protein, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins and of course, lots of water.

Each breed has its own unique needs, but there are some human foods that are poison to every breed. These foods include chocolate, most dairy products, and sweets. Yeast products are also suspect. I have learned not to depend on what is commonly accepted as good food for my dog. Many dog food allergies are making your pet suffer needlessly.

Several years ago, I met a family who didn't have children, but they had 4 dogs. They regularly made batches of homemade dog food and their dogs were super healthy - beautiful coats, healthy teeth, and all the dogs lived well beyond their expected life spans.

After losing one of my Weimaraners at the ripe old age of 10 (not too bad because they usually only live to be 12 or 13), I began to investigate how I might feed my next one differently. I had so much to learn about healthy dog food recipes and how to make the food regularly and not have it take over my life.

I studied and found that although it is a commitment, it really isn't that hard to do, and the ingredients aren't expensive. I think I was paying more for the expensive bagged food. But good homemade dog food recipes were not easy to come by, especially ones I could work into my busy lifestyle.

My Weimaraner, Kramer, is now almost 7 years old, and he's in much better health than my previous dogs. Even my vet, who has been caring for these Weims as long as I've had them, has remarked on the difference in Kramer. I'm looking forward to many more years with him. And I think it will be because of how I have fed him - a healthy homemade dog food diet.

I invite you to click on this link to read more about how to make homemade dog food, including dog treats and investigate the many natural recipes that are available for you to give you precious pooch the gift of a longer life.

http://MakeHomemadeDogFood.com
Jeanne Kolenda is a small business marketing coach, a mom, a grandmother, and the proud owner and caretaker of Kramer, her Weimaraner. She makes his dog food for optimal health.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jeanne_Kolenda

No comments:

Post a Comment