House Training a Dog Previously House Trained in Another Way

House training a dog usually isn't very complicated. You pick a potty training method, implement it with your puppy consistently, and then wait until your pooch learns the routine. However, the case of Frenzy, a four-year-old Labrador Retriever, was quite different and wasn't quite as easy. He was previously my sister's dog. When my sister passed away, she no longer had any other immediate relatives aside from me, so I was forced to take in Frenzy as my own. Frenzy had already been effectively potty trained by my sister. More specifically, she had trained him to go potty while he was being taken to go on walks. Unfortunately, I couldn't do the same for Frenzy. Ever since I was little, I've had a severe form of psoriasis, and sun exposure was an absolute no-no for me. For that reason, house training a dog that had been previously house trained in another way became a concern for me.

House training a dog was an especially daunting prospect for me because I had never owned my own dog. When I was little, my family had a dog, but I wasn't involved in training it and caring for it. In fact, before Frenzy arrived, my only pets were tropical fish that required very little care and maintenance. For this reason, I resorted to ask for dog house training help from my friend, Kim, who used to own a pet store before she decided to sell the business to pursue a career in baking. Fortunately, Kim was very willing to help me with my concern. She advised me that it was actually possible to retrain an already potty trained dog so that he could learn a new potty training routine. She said that in my case, since I couldn't take Frenzy for walks, I had to train him to go potty in a designated potty area within my home. For this purpose, I chose an area just outside my bedroom.

Kim also said that since I worked from home, I could afford to retrain Frenzy without the need to crate him. All I had to do, Kim explained, was to watch Frenzy closely after he ate, keep him on a leash if necessary, so that I could always keep an eye on him, and bring him to the designated potty area if I caught him going potty in the wrong place. I told Kim that what she had taught me seemed pretty doable, but she warned me that it could take time for Frenzy to get used to going potty in the house since he had already been trained to go potty only outside. With that last piece of caution, our conversation ended and the task of house training a dog that had already been trained another way was placed squarely on my shoulders.

The method for house training a dog that Kim had taught me was applied the very next day. I fed Frenzy, then leashed him so that I could keep an eye on him. After around ten minutes, I brought him to the designated potty area near my room, leashed him there, and then waited for him to go potty. As expected, after around ten minutes of being leashed, Frenzy began sniffing the newspapers I had laid out in his potty area, walked around in circles. Unfortunately, he didn't go potty. Instead, Frenzy proceeded to bark and yelp as if begging to be taken out.

Distressed by Frenzy's behavior, I called Kim to ask about what I ought to do. Kim told me to just bear with Frenzy's barking and yelping since after some time, he would have no choice but go potty in his designated potty area. True enough, after fifteen minutes of making unbearably pitiful sounds, Frenzy went potty over the newspapers that were laid out under him. Success! The first step of house training a dog that had previously been house trained was complete.

I continued to apply the techniques for house training a dog that Kim taught me for three more weeks. Then, I tried to check what Frenzy would do if he were no longer leashed to force him to go potty in the right area. To my great joy, a couple of minutes after he had eaten his food, Frenzy moved to his designated potty area and did his business. In fact, Frenzy displayed the desired potty behavior with such ease that it seemed like he had always been trained that way. With Kim's patient help, I had actually accomplished the task of house training a dog even if he had already learned a different potty training routine with his previous owner -- one of the most fulfilling accomplishments I had achieved in quite some time.

Visit http://www.howtotrainapuppyordog.com to learn more.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=M_Joselito_Garcia

No comments:

Post a Comment